Friday 5 February 2010

Reading about the research someone has done is boring... So here's loads of pretty pictures to look at!

I’ve been thinking about this time machine as it’s the driving force behind this project which I’m going to need to attack head on so I thought I want to get the idea behind it down first.

I started doing some digging for time machine type stuff and as per usual I came across what you’d expect such as the Delorean from Back to the Future and the time machines from the films made from H.G. Wells story the time machine.

The Delorean time machine from Back to the future

Resized JPEG graphic


Resized JPEG graphic


Resized JPEG graphic


H.G. Wells The Time Machine directed by George Pal

Resized JPEG graphic


H.G. Wells The Time Machine directed by Simon Wells (Yup that’s right H.G. Wells Grandson)

Resized JPEG graphic


Next I looked into jets breaking the sound barrier as I thought of it like a barrier to be broken like the Delorean when it travelled through time breaking the time space continuum barrier as such.

Couple of shots of jet fighters breaking the sound barrier

Resized JPEG graphic


Resized JPEG graphic


With jet propulsion on my mind I began looking into processes and machinery used to boost to speeds like jet engines and turbo chargers to speeds as I thought of the idea that the time machine would need boosting to go through time.

A turbocharger

Resized JPEG graphic


How a turbocharger works (Such as the one on your Glanza)

Resized JPEG graphic


Resized JPEG graphic


Here’s some rather beasty looking jet engines and turbines that I found along my travels

Resized JPEG graphic


Resized JPEG graphic


Resized JPEG graphic


Resized JPEG graphic


How a jet engine works

Resized JPEG graphic


I also looked into the logic behind such engines found to be along basically the same principle and I briefly led myself onto nuclear energy.

This is a shot of a nuclear reactor on the ship ’50 years of Victory’ which is a Russian icebreaker with 2 nuclear reactors which between them produce 500,000 horsepower... (Got Boost? You do if you’ve got a nuclear reactor under the bonnet... :P)


Resized JPEG graphic


Here’s how it all works, so in a way it’s similar to a turbo or jet engine only instead of turned into kinetic energy it’s turned into potential energy

Resized JPEG graphic


From this point I strayed out on a bit of a tangent and had a look at the 1930’s Frankenstein film and Frankenstein’s lab with its big electrodes and generators etc as its quite science fiction/fantasy based.

Here’s a few pictures of Dr. Frankenstein’s lab

Resized JPEG graphic


Resized JPEG graphic


Some concept artistry by Stephen Martiniere

Resized JPEG graphic


Resized JPEG graphic


I then started thinking about a game have on my old PS2 called Soul Reaver 2 and the game focuses on time travel and throughout the game the issue is raises of what happens when time is changed and it talks of the 2 sides of a coin as well as the third edge in regards to fate and destiny. So I looked into the time machine used in the game which is actually more of a worm hole.

Here’s a couple of pictures form the time machine in Soul Reaver (Sorry for the bad quality I had to rip them off of YouTube)

Resized JPEG graphic


Resized JPEG graphic


Resized JPEG graphic


Resized JPEG graphic


This made me then think about the film Stargate and worm holes in general so I began looking into the theory of worm holes in regards to Einstein’s theory of relativity as well as taking a brief look at the film Contact and the machine built in that for time space travel.

The Stargate

Resized JPEG graphic


Resized JPEG graphic

The theory behind a worm hole

Resized JPEG graphic

Here’s a couple of pages which explain the theory a bit more in depth
Time travel theory
Worm hole theory

A concept drawing for the alien designed machine from Contact but I can’t find who drew it :( (I really like the use of circles though)

Resized JPEG graphic

No comments: