Monday 2 February 2009

Transcription - Brainwave

Over the last few days I’ve been going through my music library trying to come up with potentials for a song based music video. A few possibilities I came up with are:

Metric – Monster Hospital (Remix)
In which I imagined a person protesting a war but being drawn into the war they protested against, due to a bomb being dropped which kills their family. With no one left the person is alone so they turn and end up fighting the war.

The Postal Service - This Place is a Prison
(Excuse the video it’s one someone’s made as there is no official video)
I imaged a video playing out from the perspective of a binge drinking alcoholic going out to clubs and sitting at home alone drinking with drink destroying their life.

Styrofoam & Benjamin Gibbard - Couches in Alleys
From this music I imagined a man going about his life not quite content with what he’s got then he starts noticing a homeless person and begins to see him every day with nothing then starts questions his own life then the hobo ends up dying.
Although after watching the real video for this I thought there’s no point going with this as the original video itself fits the lyrics better than my idea.

Hilltop Hoods - Stopping All Stations
This story is self explanatory through the song and is only leaves what the people look like and what’s out the window to your imagination really. It follows the story of 3 characters as they get on a train 1 an old man who is the muggers target, 1 a lady who stands up for the old man and the mugger who mugs the old man. There are 2 versions of this song as well one in which the old man is killed for his wallet and another where the old man takes out the mugger. (The link is the first of the 2 story lines)

I wasn’t quite sure which one to pursue but I thought I’ll keep my options open encase I find something better.

I'd just hunted down the 1997 film Volcano to watch for my Models & Metaphors project and while I was waiting for it to load (which was taking forever) I decided it would be a good idea to try and push this project a bit more. I tried racking my brains for something to base my transcription around other than another piece of music. Then as I was thinking I looked up on my shelf at my PS2 games and DVD’s and saw my ‘Ghost in the Shell’ DVD box so I put it on and after the first 5minutes I thought whoa this would be a good piece to transcribe from. So in it went to google ‘Ghost in the Shell game’ and sure enough it had already been done so I turned off the DVD and went for a walk round my house for inspiration.
Photobucket

I saw the Hayao Miyazaki film Laputa Castle in the Sky in the DVD rack. I’ve always loved the concept of this film which is about an ancient floating city created by a forgotten race which once lived on the earth and the film follows the characters journey to try and find this lost castle in the clouds. Story wise I don’t really feel the film itself is strong enough to use for my transcription but there could be some possibilities for it maybe.
Photobucket

With the idea of futuristic technology still planted in my head I tracked down an anime film I’d watched some years ago called Metropolis.
So I’m now watching that with high hopes.
Photobucket

No comments: